[pct-l] Maps

At 07:04 PM 3/12/02, Edmond Meinfelder wrote:

Let me answer in reverse order:

 >Related question: Are the trail signs/blazes good enough to make it
without maps?

No. Not even.

>Pardon my inexperience, but what exactly are the Trail Guides (Schaffer,
>etc.) good for? The maps seem useless and, for re-supply at least, the PCT
>Town Guide strikes me as more useful.

You need the maps AND the trail guides to find the trail. And a little bit
of skill in reading them and using a compass. Add in ice axe/snow travel
skills, and river fording skills, and you might be prepared.

This ain't no pansy AT "walk in the woods," from blaze to blaze -  it is a
real wilderness experience. <gdr - tic>

--
Brick
            Not all those who wander, are lost....