[pct-l] Maps

In a message dated 3/12/02 9:34:16 PM, edmond@meinfelder.com writes:

<< Pardon my inexperience, but what exactly are the Trail Guides (Schaffer,
etc.) good for? The maps seem useless and, for re-supply at least, the PCT
Town Guide strikes me as more useful.

Well, like, they help you to plan your day. I was somewhat, but not totally
spontaneous. I generally didn't plan necessary, specific camp spots in each
section, but camped instead at the end of a "shift " of hiking, generally
about 12 hours camp to camp, near water if I could.  I couldn't hike without
knowledge of what was ahead of me. It was better knowing what was in the
trail towns via the town guide than not knowing. Why should the trail be any
different? Sure, you can hike without the guide book, but to me it made the
hike more interesting as well as efficient. I loved reading about the next
day on the trail each evening. I agree, though, that the topo's weren't of
too much use. I relied far more on the written text