[pct-l] Trip Report: Tuolumne Meadows to Kennedy Meadows [HWY 108]

In a message dated 9/10/2001 4:50:37 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
reynolds@ilan.com writes:

> You know that I am pro requiring bear canisters.
>
> The problem with the NPS thinking that they can get away with not complying
> with the order is that virtually every backpacker who has not lost food to
> bears believes that he/she can protect his/her food from bears also without
> the use of bear canisters.

Tom,

One of the main differences is, while a thru-hiker is mobile, using a
different site every nite, you generally camp for a week at a time in the
same spot.  Using a cannister may be the wise and prudent choice for someone
that chooses to remain idle, read, fish, cook, smell the roses and do site
trips.  It certainly wouldn't be wise to leave your food in your tent for a
week, especially, if you weren't right there to let the bears know that it's
YOUR food.

For those that are leaving their cannisters open and letting the bears get
their food anyway, that's creating another problem, where the bears that
didn't bother with cannisters will be checking them out.

Wouldn't it be ironic, if the next, new regulation stipulated that you had to
store your cannister in a tent.  : )

Sly

multipart/alternative
  text/html