[pct-l] Bears and cars

In a message dated 8/30/2001 7:06:31 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
mardav@intlaccess.com writes:

> We were hiking the PCT out of Tuolumne towards Glen Aulin this summer, along
> the
> pavement that is lined with hikers cars for nearly a mile.  We noticed that
> every
> single car contained some sort of food, food trash or cooler visible from

Last year, I parked in this area at the end of the road closest to Glen
Aulin.  I thought I cleaned out the car completely from visuals and put food
and "smellables" in one of the bear boxes adjacent with nothing but gear in
the trunk.  I returned the next morning to find a written warning on the
windshield from a ranger.  A further warning and the car would be removed.

I was aghast!

It seems I left a well use Gatorade water bottle behind the front seat.  The
car was dusty from traveling many dirt roads and there were definitely paws
prints on the trunk, but I couldn't determine from what species.

Thru-hiker or Bear, I don't know, after driving cross country, the car
probably smelt like fast food restaurant!

Sly

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---