[pct-l] Bear Stuff

I have always though that more bear boxes is the best way to stop bear
habituation. The problem with canisters is that most people improperly store
the overflow. However, I know of no failures of modern canisters. The first
models had only a latch and a turnbuckel, not the latch and two turnbuckles
of the modern canister. With the old models if the canister was droped in
just the right way the lid would pop off.

I agree with Monte that the new Garcia Canisters are flimsey compared to the
original 4 pound models. In most cases bears don't even bother canisters
because their lack of success in the past. Further, bears generally don't
pick up the canister but they do bat it around. I suspect that bears are
less adept than Monte than throwing a canister against a sharp rock. [I
could test this myself but I'd rather wait and let Monte do it.] However,
bears might well learn to toss a canister down a slope which might just
work.

Tom