[pct-l] More Ursack Ultra info ...

Some info from the folks at Ursack -
--
Executive summary:

1. Don't put cook pots or other large hard-sided objects in
   your Ursack.
2. Check before going into Yosemite, SEKI and Inyo. Approval
   may be withdrawn.

The Bigger Picture:

In late May, the NPS gave us a three-month conditional approval for
use of the Ursack Ultra in Yosemite, Sequoia/Kings Canyon and Inyo.
There are now nearly 300 Ultras in circulation and a huge back order.

On the first weekend in July, a bear near Vidette Meadows spent 1-2
hours "working" on an Ursack Ultra. We have been told he damaged
the bag severely enough to get the food. We have not yet seen the
bag, so have no way to assess the damage, but we were told that he
inserted his cook pot into the Ursack for added protection.
THIS IS A NO-NO. Adding a large hard-sided object into Ursack
has the opposite of the intended effect. Instead of making it
harder for the bear to penetrate, it actually provides
purchase and makes it easier to tear. Please don't do it.

This is the first report of a damaged Ultra that we have received.
In fact, yesterday we got a report of a bear encounter with
a single ply bag that, aside from some small punctures, was
entirely successful. And, aside from the Vidette Meadows incident,
we have not received any reports of bears being able to take food
from campers using any of our coated fabric bags,
whether Ultras or not.

Because of the Vidette Meadows incident, the bear management
rangers will meet next week to decide if backpackers can continue
to use the Ultra in the restricted areas of Yosemite, Sequoia/Kings
Canyon and Inyo. We are hoping that they will stand by their three-
month conditional approval of the bag and not consider one failure
reason enough to withdraw it.

Regardless of the decision, we will continue to find ways to improve
the bag. It is important for you to know that the bear management
rangers have not allowed us to test any of our bags in the wild. So
even though we expect our next generation of bags to be better, we
will not really know until you, our customers, put them to the test.
As always, we stand behind our warranty.

We will be backpacking in the Sierras ourselves next week, but will
attempt to post up to date information on our web site when we get
it. In the meantime, you should check first before entering the bear
restricted areas because conditional approval may be withdrawn.