From: Christine Kudija [mailto:cmkudija@earthlink.net]
Sent: Monday, July 09, 2001 5:08 PM
To: Reynolds, WT; JoAnn M Michael; pct-l@backcountry.net
Subject: Re: [pct-l] slow hiking

>Am I to assume from this discussion girls, that all men are in peak
physical
condition and look like models and only women suffer from this hateful,
male-dominated, view of the outdoor advertising business ...... or are you
just becoming ultra feminists?<

Well, yes, Tom.  Of course.  Absolutely.  Aren't/don't they?  <VBG>

On the other hand, we girls just like to complain, whimper, whine, etc.
about it more (which helps, oddly).  And it's a problem that can only be
fixed by including admittedly less photogenic folks -men and women- in the
photo spreads in outdoor magazines.  Hmmm.  Somehow I think neither the
female or male editors would be really enthusiastic...   I can think of ONE
catalogue, though, Title 9 Sports, that caters to women
athletes/runners/hikers/cyclists etc - which shows a very athletic Ruth,
who's 70 if she's a day, bouldering in the SF Bay area.  She's my mentor,
only second to Marge.    Whoo, am I ever getting off topic - nothing like
starting another "point of this list" discussion.

Meanwhile, back ON topic - sort of - and we can blame Monty for making us
look at this month's Backpacker - THAT hike made me very grateful for the
Sierras, thank you.  Iced-up heather?  65-lb packs? Yikes.  But those
crampons look nifty - we've got some similar Grivell strap-on crampons for
soft boots that are very similar & we love 'em.  Aluminum, though.
Interesting.  And they performed adequately on the ice, too.  I would think
that a bit of experience helped there!

Christine (who really, really isn't an ultrafeminist and sometimes lets
husband Chuck carry her pack across nasty stream crossings)