[pct-l] Re: [pctl] Post-Partum Depression

> a discussion I would like to hear on pct-l is what about the post-partum
>  depression a month or two after successfully completing the PCT or any
other
>  hiking challenge

My darkest depression came about a month after returning from my thruhike
when interviewed by a local newspaper in Santa Barbara.  The reporter and
photographer came up to the home I was living in, near the Mission.  They
wanted a shot of me, with pack, in a natural setting and it was almost
difficult to find one that had no sign of man in it.  That single issue, that
I had returned from general immersion in wilderness to saturation in society,
struck me so hard and depressed me for days.

However, in this depression I recognized and solidified the knowledge that
what drove me, what was essential and necessary to feel "successful" in this
trek, what was the single most important thing to me was:

I had become so confident in my own capabilities as to become completely
secure, comfortable and "at home" in the wilderness, gaining a fuller
appreciation of wilderness.

Nothing else came close in importance.  Not 2600 miles, not Mexico to Canada,
not Across the United States, not Thruhike In A Single Year, not 43 miles in
a single day, not beating anyone to anywhere.

My greatest fear before leaving was that this would not occur.  My greatest
triumph was the realization that I had attained my ultimate goal.  The most
difficult thing to come to terms with has been the tradeoff of that for
higher priority things in my life.  I am gradually trying to bring both
together.

The depression has never really faded away.  It has merely evolved into an
understanding of choices and consequences.

Best regards,

Greg "Strider" Hummel

"the grass was greener . . . the light was brighter . . . the nights of
wonder . . . with friends surround us . . ."
                        Pink Floyd, "The Division Bell"