[pct-l] (Guest Post) Jack Fair longtime PCT hiker's friend passed away.

I have some VIVID memories of Jack Fair and the following come to mind:

We were hiking late Nov. early Dec.
Part way through the this section we had a food drop at a
store on Hiway 138.  We manage to get to the store and picked up our
package, then decided to visit with Mr. Jack Fair (another Trail Angel,
the PCT trail goes right beside his house at the start of the Mojave
Desert)  You can get water there and have a shower, do your laundry, and
sleep in his garage (all for a small fee).  We did all this stuff and we
listened to a man talk for hours on his "far out" philosophy of life.  He
was 76 years old and smoked constantly,  apparently in his younger years
he had been the head of a motorcycle group called the "Shaggers" in
California. I read all the newspaper clippings and confirmed this and he
had also done the 4 x 4.  (only a motorcycle person will understand
this).
He also used the "F" word every other word ,until even "I"  began to
think it was part of the English language as a adjective, verb, pronoun,
adverb, conjunction etc.

We stayed the night in his garage. A few weeks after I got back home he sent
me his book, his philosophy of Life.

He was indeed an eccentric and a part of the Trail experience.

Marge (the old gal)