From: Brick Robbins [mailto:brick@fastpack.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 05, 2001 2:30 PM
To: pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: [pct-l] better than......was: Point of this List

At 02:11 PM 7/5/01, CMountainDave@aol.com wrote:
> I don't want to be around people who toot their horns or are
>domineering especially in a wilderness setting where I am TRYING to leave
>such rat race entrails behind me. John Muir was a mountain climber. He told

>the world about his wilderness experiences. Does that mean he was a
braggart
>macho man too?

Mihkail Baryshnikov said:
"I do not try to dance better than anyone else.
I only try to dance better than myself."

The desire to be better is a driving human trait. Becoming "better" (or
"growing") gives most folks a sense of self worth and joy.

Some measure "better" against other people.

Some judge "better" against different yardsticks (most marathoners will
never "win" a race: they measure themselves against their own "personal
record," or PR).

Is it really one's place to try and invalidate another's source of joy?

Isn't this like saying "my joy is non competitive, so it is better than
yours" Which is, itself a competitive line of reasoning?

Hike your own hike
-Brick