[pct-l] it is getting nearer

Hi everyone,

The time of summer, the time of the PCT is getting nearer. I have
been trying, without that much success, to get in shape for the big
hike. We had as little success in trying to get in practice hikes
every week. I am walking to work for the remainder of the months
until summer, but that is only about 30-45 minutes. We'll just have
to start real slow, I think.

Now I am trying to arrange practical things and any advice is much appreciated:
- Finding a flight that does not cost too much; no luck as yet
- Deciding whether to go 'shopasyougo' or 'resupplybox'; as we do not
have a homebase in the states we could only send boxes to ourselves,
we're leaning toward resupply
- Where to fly to, assuming we want to walk from Cascades Summit to Canada
- What to do once we get to the US; rent a car, take a train/bus,
hitchhike to the trailhead

Anxieties are flaring as I am reading in a 'first aid for the
outdoors' manual. I never knew you could have this many bruises, cuts
and illnesses... We are having heavy conversations about trusting the
other person and how to avoid exhaustion, checking each other for
signs of overexertion, hypothermia, hyperthermia. I am secretly
dreading any meeting with bears or thunderstorm.

All in all, the trip is beginning to feel more and more like a
reality. I send my most positive vibes to the people starting out in
Campo. We will probably not meet up, but who knows. We will be
travelling July/August in OR and WA.

See you on the trail?
Saskia
--
"If this is paradise, I wish I had a lawn mower"