[pct-l] The Strange Aura of the ADZPCTKO

The last two years I have driven down late after work and settling my family
to attend the ADZ.  Both times I have driven into Lake Morena campground and
found the reserved campsites and parked my car.  Wearily I emerge from the
long drive down from Los Angeles and find a fair crowd of strange looking
people.  I find myself feeling out of place not recognizing any of the faces,
having doubts that I have really found the right place, the right people that
I am seeking.

Both times I have been joyfully greeted by one then many and welcomed into
the conversations around the campfire.  Quickly I recognize faces and names
and then I come to the realization that here are friends. Here are people I
know, some very, very well, some from just their persona on the list, some
from a second hand reference, some are well known and highly regarded trail
angels whose reputations have made them larger than life.  Here is Tom and
Bob and Charlie and Jeff and Monte and Brick and Ron and Marge and Margo and
JoAnn and . . . . .

Soon, as my bones warm by the campfire, so too does my comfort with these
people, these fellow caretakers and caregivers and wonder discoverers of the
PCT, these that I find so many values and interests in common with my own.

Come, join our conversation around the fire, our gathering around the new
tent, the new tarp, the new stove, and see how many faces and names you
recognize and feel the warmth, the friendships, the comraderie.  We welcome
you, we welcome all that come with the simple desire to gather, to share, to
experience.

This year when I drive down from LA I'll have no doubt about the people, the
recognition, the acceptance.  So few of my peers understand this draw,
understand the aura, understand the trail.  You do.

See ya' and save a small place around the fire for me!

Greg "Strider" Hummel