[pct-l] slackpacking

No, I don't think slackpacking is "wrong" or "right".  That's why I don't
wish to defend it. Like the man said, set your own parameters, be true to
them and try not to resent those that don't. Although I must admit that I
thought less of those who accepted rides up trail or skipped entire sections
and then claimed that they had done a thru hike. I did consider that to be
"cheating" in the thru hike "game".   Therefore, if someone DOES think you
are wrong to slackpack but that was part of your personal parameters all
along, why should you care or even feel the need to defend yourself? But one
also knows that the public views that a climb of Everest is more of a
commitment than climbing Rainier. And doing a thru hike takes more commitment
and effort than a section hike. One can argue that the effort with more
commitment is more rewarding than the other   I don't resent the purists. I
just feel its not for me because it is too limiting for my situatonalist
attitudes. My personal parameters for a thru hike wouldn't include
slackpacking, ( because like climbing solo, I like the feeling of self
sufficient commitment - others prefer being part of a team) skipping sections
or accepting rides other than into towns off the trail. But I would and did
accept all the trail angel help I could get in towns and by using water
stashes. I don't like suffering with the weight of 2 gallons of water and
consider it extremely rude to turn away the efforts of those who desire to
help within my situtionalist parameters. When people drove by on the road
along the L.A. aqueduct offering goodies in 105 degree heat, I gratefully
took them, but they seemed to know my personal parameters couldn't accept a
ride to skip the heat and they didn't even ask. I compromised on my desire
for self sufficiency by accepting help at times like these and was glad that
I did. To be quite honest, the trail angels were the unexpected highlight of
my trip. I also took alternate more scenic routes. Why should I really care
what your parameters are.? If you and I are satisfied with our efforts, that
is all that matters.  At the end I was quite satisfied with my non purist not
quite self suffcient effort. Finally, if I had a girlfriend that wanted to
help as much as yours did, I most likely would have found it impossible to
refuse that help and would have gladly turned my hike into a team effort
rather than a self sufficient one.