[pct-l] Re: pct-l-digest V1 #1141

Fuel on the fire:

If a trail angel with good intentions dispenses some kind of service that
ultimately weakens the hiker's resolve to continue, is this trail magic or
trail voodoo? If the service might be detrimental to some, bt not to others,
then is it the responsibility of the hiker to recognize magic from voodoo,
or the responsibility of the angel to direct the service in such a way that
maximizes the chance for magic?

To many hikers just starting out, all trail angel activity constitutes
trail magic. And of course the trail angels agree. Only later will some hikers
recognize that some of this magic can be voodoo. The trail angels will never
recognize this. So how do we ensure that the fledgling thru-hiker styas in
flight? Do we offer water in the San Felipes, when the hiker may have none
in the Majove? Do we offer shelter from the heat, when a month or more of
torrid weather awaits? Do we whisk hikers around 20 miles of "undesirable"
trail, when 2000 more miles stand before Manning? Do we offer these services
when the hiker wants them, or when we want to offer them? Does the hiker want
tthem only BECAUSE we offer them? How can we really know? Should we offer
these services to all, unquestioningly? Or is it incumbent upon the trail
angel to recognize and differentiate the hiker's needs from "wants"? If
a young child asks for ice cream as the ice cream truck rolls by, should
we say yes? What happens if we say no? What happens when the truck rolls
by tomorrow? What happens if it doesn't?

- Blisterfree