[pct-l] Large Pepsi Can Stove

I haven't seen Roy's stove, and I'm sure it's a good one.  On the
other hand, I couldn't help but respond to the fun challenge in the
last phrase of the original post (see below), that is, boiling 3
quarts of water.

One of the features of the Pepsi Can stove is that it can be made in
a variety of heights (or fuel capacities) to suit your needs.  So
last night I made one that was 25 mm (1 in) taller than the 35 mm one
written up at
http://www.pcthiker.com/pages/gearset.html

The fuel tank was 2/3 full with 3 fl oz (90 ml) of alcohol.  Under a
mixture of ideal and nonideal conditions (64F water in the kitchen
with a loose fitting lid and no windsceen) 3 quarts of water were
brought to a rolling boil and continued to boil for 20 min more.  So
the Pepsi Can stove without any modification except height can boil 3
quarts of water.  Be that as it may, I have difficulty understanding
why one would WANT to boil this much water with a single alcohol
stove.

If I were serious about following my Pepsi Can Stove design for large
capacity cooking I would consider making it out of 20 oz beer cans.
The diameter is larger than a 12 oz soda can.  Thus the stove
wouldn't have to be as tall for a given fuel capacity, and the
aluminum is thicker which would make the stove stronger.

Scott

Montedodge@aol.com wrote:

>  Roy gave me a homemade alcohol stove at the kick-off which worked great
during my 2 week hike.