[pct-l] Light boots

I think maybe we are focusing on types of boots to use aren't paying enough
attention on how the boots fit and other foot problems.

I tried a pair of New Balance trail running shoes at ADZPCTKO.

I found that the lightweight shoes moved around on my feet quite a bit and
my feet became very tired after 4-5 miles. I also found that I was landing
on the outside of my left sole and when my foot came down it rolled inward
and my foot slid to the inside of my shoe. I am sure that there is some
fancy name for this like over-pronation [or under-pronation] and that
orthotics would fix it but I decided to use my Danners for the next day's
hike. No problem with them moving on my foot. The wide clunky sole landed
firmly on the ground training my feet to work properly. However, these old
style boots had zero insole padding and the balls of my feet began to hurt.
I fixed this with moleskin early [4-5 miles into the hike] and was ok to
about 11-12 miles when the outside of my feet began to hurt. I guess I was
still landing on the outside of my feet and just not rolling inward. Still I
finished 15 miles without a single blister. Based on this I would write-off
running shoes for me except.....

On hiker, running the trail, said my running shoes were too big. Better fit
shoes would have worked much better. Also, I expect that orthotics would
have fixed my retarded feet.  So, in reality I don't really know if running
shoes would work for me.