[pct-l] AT verses PCT

 The AT may be steeper, but it's a lot closer distance between towns and
resupply points. I would say the average pack weight between the AT and PCT
would be higher per hiker on the PCT ( you need to pack your food farther )
Even though the trail may be steeper, it's easier packing 25 lbs at 4000 ft.
than 45 lbs. at 9000ft. Killer storms are more rare on the AT. No ice axe is
really needed on the AT. Water is less of a problem on the AT ( no need to
carry as much as compared to the desert ) If rain is a problem on the AT,
it's just as bad in Washington. In Washington, we get the most snow in the
World, bar none.  The weather can get bad in a hurry with tons of rain or
snow depending on the Temp. Bottom line is no little old woman with tennis
shoes and a laundry bag or blind guys with seeing eye dogs have completed a
thru-hike of the PCT. ( But it has been done on the AT ) This adds to the
point that the PCT is a much more difficult OVERALL trail. The grade may be
less, but everything else is more. ( like height, distance, weight carried to
next drop, cold temps. etc.) AT is a good warm up for easterners to come out
west, Where the REAL Mountains are.  Half the food drops are higher than
Katadin.