[pct-l] CAMERA FOR THE TRAIL

For a thru-hiker, I believe that the best camera to have is one of several
compact 35mm rangefinders. Neither digital cameras or the new Advanced Photo
System cameras yield adequate resolutions for photos you will want for a
lifetime. It would take an unmanageable amount of storage media to hold
photos of worthwhile resolution in digital format.
Either of these three cameras will weigh in between 7 and 10 oz. - the
SAMSUNG EVOCA 140S - the NIKON ZOOM 800 - the PENTAX ESPIO 120 MI. In
daylight, using ISO 200 films, either will take incredible photos with the
minimum amount of user decisions. Using manufacturer's web sites and
brochures, I have put together AN EXCEL FILE that compares 20 specifications
of these cameras. If anyone wants this Spreadsheet, drop me a line and I
will send it out to you.
Those who are camera literate, realize that a limitation of any Rangefinders
is they may Zoom in on a Buck grazing in a meadow at 9:00 p.m., but the
small lens stop will not allow a hand held photo because of the slow shutter
speed. So if you demand the ability to take a post-sunset photo of the
purple haze covered contours of let's say, the Goat Rocks, then you must
step up to a lightweight SLR and a lightweight lens. Canon, Pentax, Minolta,
and Nikon all have an SLR that weighs in at approx. 13 oz. and a suitable
zoom lens that weighs around 7 oz.
My hiking photo and info web site is: http://www.cgocable.net/~simontom/ -
enjoy.
Happy Photo Memories of your 2,000 hike!