Re: [pct-l] A PCT Calling

Shawna writes:

<<  I probably am looking at a 2001 PCT
 Odyssey, but I am very open to going this
 year. Is this possible? >>

Hi Shawna --  Certainly it's possible!  Eat your dessert first!  I wanted to
second Ginny's comments about planning resources.

Join the PCTA.  You can get the Pacific Crest Trail Guides, Vol. 1 -
California and Vol. 2 - Oregon and Washington.  These are essential.  Most
hikers cut the books up into sections and mail the sections with their food
drops as they need them.  You can also get your wilderness permits thru the
PCTA as long as you're hiking 500 miles or more.

Jardine's book will give you some great ideas for lightweight hiking but it's
not for everyone.  Use what you're comfortable with.

Craig's Trip Planner was another essential for organizing my hike last year.
I wish it had been available in 1997 when my son and I did our planning for
food drops, hiking days per section, layovers, etc. the hard way, by poring
over the maps and trail guides.