Re: [pct-l] A PCT Calling

Shawna Thompson wrote:

> Dear PCT hikers,
> I am new to this list; for a week I've been reading. I
> can't tell you (perhaps you already know) the ache and
> intense yearning I have in my heart and soul to make
> this journey. Before I "found" this list, I was
> "consulting with the universe" to connect me with
> resources about the PCT, because I know nothing,
> except I WILL do it. Then I was surfing and found the
> PCT web pages, and I am overwhelmed by this new world
> that is unfolding before me. I have a bazillion
> questions about how to get started, planning, etc. I
> want you all to come over to my house for dinner so I
> can pick your brains in person.
> Based on what I've been reading and my own personal
> situation, I probably am looking at a 2001 PCT
> Odyssey, but I am very open to going this year. Is
> this possible? If not a thruhike, then I will
> definitely explore parts of the trail to prepare me
> for a thruhike next year. I'm in Bend, OR very close
> to a PCT section.
> I'm not sure how to even begin planning for a
> thruhike. And what do I do with my dog? I'm assuming
> it's no dogs allowed? I guess I would like to know
> about personal logistics (e-mail me privately if you
> prefer), like how you deal with pets, finances, your
> house...
> I appreciate your feedback and guidance.
> Blessings,
> Shawna

Hi Shawna, Welcome to the list.  We are planning a PCT hike this year. A
couple of additional resources -
First, join the PCTA. They have a web page (www.pcta.org) that has a lot
of info and trail journals, as well as the guidebooks, the Town Guide
and the Data book.

Second, Karen Berger has a book called "Advanced Backpacking" with a lot
of information on how to prepare for a long hike.

Third, Ray Jardine's PCT Planner

Fourth, my husband wrote two series on Thruhiking. While he is most
interested in the head aspect (attitude) there is also a series of
questions in the second Thruhiking Papers about all the details that
need to be dealt with before a long hike.  As you note, it isn't easy
when you have to deal with a home, insurance, cars, animals, etc.  Look
for them at http://trailwise.circumtech.com/storylist (anything starting
"thruhiking", especially, "Is there a faster way out of here?" and also
http://trailwise.circumtech.com/thruhikingpapers/

Another helpful resource is Craig's trip planner at
http://www.newestindustry.com/pct/pctplan/

Good luck. Hope to see you out there.
Ginny