Re: [pct-l] Trekking Poles?

In a message dated 1/9/2000 9:54:22 AM PST, owenk@quiknet.com writes:

<< Speaking of trekking pole does anyone have any information on how well the
 adjustable types holdup?  Do they break? Do they collapse at the wrong time?

Mine are adjustable and held up well for 1500 PCT miles last summer, from
Donner Pass to Manning Park.  The variable length makes them handy for use as
tent poles.  I actually fell on one pole near Crater Lake, bending it into a
nice curve, but was able to straighten it good as new.

I don't think the spring-loaded poles are a good idea, though I haven't tried
them.  Just my opinion, but I like the solid feedback when I plant the pole
on rock, mush or whatever.