Re: [ft-l] Dan Smith

As past section leader of the Big Cypress section of the FNST and have
hiked that section every year since 1983, I would like to make a comment.
There are only a two areas that possibly can be waist deep when the weather
drops a lot of rain. And both of these areas can be walked around in knee
deep water. The first area is caused by swamp buggies digging out the trail
and making a trench.  This is just about 5 miles north of Oasis Ranger
Station.  (We tried re-routing several time, but the buggies keep finding
and using the new trail.)
The other area is north of the fence line thru the edge of a cypress slough.

The only possibility is that Dan Smith went thru a few areas off the normal
trail since the blazed on this section of trail are currently in poor shape
or absent.  It is easy to walk in an area with deeper water.  This section
of trail is also currently officially closed until maintenance can be done
to the trail.

I personally enjoy that section in any level water and there are others
that feel the same way.  It is part of the Florida environment.

Daryl Wells