[ft-l] Eglin

    We at Western Gate Chapter would like to thank everyone who helped make
the Northern Regional Conference such a great success.  Without lots of help
we would have never been able to cut and blaze 20 miles of trail in one
weekend.  The FNST is now complete from Rt. 85 to Rt. 285.  We expect further
help in March when American Hiking Society members have scheduled a week of
trail construction at Eglin, the only American Hiking Society event scheduled
in the state of Florida in the year 2000.  We are hopeful the we will be able
to complete flagging from Rt. 285 to US 331 in time for them to begin work on
that section of the FNST.
    Today I hiked a new section of the Florida Trail along Juniper Creek in
the Blackwater State Forrest.  What a beautiful trail, lots of old growth
pine and juniper, winding along a clear creak with big white sand bars along
the edges.  We hope to schedule a hike here in the spring when the Mountain
Laurel, Rhododendron and Flame Azaleas are blooming (yes, you don't have to
go to North Carolina to see Laurels and Rhododendron, they're right here in
Florida).  Perhaps you could come and join us.  Look for the Western Gate
activity schedule on the Florida Trail Web Page.

George Brinkman

To:            ft-l@backcountry.net