[ft-l] Joan "Igloo" Hobson - Section 8 - 2/7 to 2/8

Florida Trail Journal - Section 8
Deseret

Beginning: US 192 and Levee 73

End: SR 520

Total Mileage: ? Miles

Conditions: Mostly dike and road walk. Little shade, no facilities. Use
compass and stay on dike or road shoulder. No good water sources. Note, you
must secure permission to cross Deseret Ranchlands.

----

Monday February 7, 2000

Awakened at 4AM with cramps and a hungry feeling. Hopped out and headed for
the latrine. Thru visits. Hope I havn't gotten a "bug". Feeling weak and
alternately cold and hot. Made up some goat's milk and scalded it. Skipped
breakfast and took some medication and we got off after 8AM. Walking slower
today, but warm enough to shed lots of cloths. Have seen several turtle
nests on the dike and several large gopher holes. No tortoises. More cows
and endless dike. After about 7 miles with 4 or 5 to go, I'm done. I'm
sitting in the yard of someone who thanks her father-in-law. Can take me to
Christmas, FL when he gets back from fishing. A pick-up truck with one of
the Managers from Deseret has driven in and will take me. Very nice! I've
tried several times to reach Bruce and have left a message with my
daughter-in-law. I'm told I can get into a Motel in Titusville and a
Security Guard will drive me. I've gotten a hold of Bruce and he will come
over. Feeling better. My partners have walked on and will meet me in
Christmas tomorrow PM. I've a dozen things to do tomorrow, but a hot bath
and food are a first priority. It's nice to see Bruce again.

Posted by Jeff Walters on Friday, February 11, 2000.

----

Tuesday February 8, 2000

This will be a hurry day. Eating, cleaning things up, restocking, eating and
getting ready for tomorrow. I've phone called to make from here and I guess
I'd better get some Imodium! Must have been a virus. A rest helped. Sometime
I'll have to walk that new piece of trail from Deseret where I got off to
520.

Posted by Jeff Walters on Friday, February 11, 2000.