[cdt-l] Re:divides and crests

thanks, brian... so it sounds like in the end, the Divide is not a
continuous geographical feature that runs the length of the Americas, since
water "crosses" it there at Two Oceans Pass. that was my best guess, but i
had always thought that the Divide could be geologically defined somehow -
like in some of the seemingly completely flat places in southern NM (near
Hachita).

and as for the Pacific Crest, I just never figured out how someone defined
what "was" the Crest. the schaeffer guidebooks always referred to regaining
the Crest or being off it or whatever, so I figured that it was a real
geological entity too, or at least, a defined thing. i wonder if if there's
a Commission on Pacific Crest Definition somewhere! :-) or heck, even a
Continental Divide Definition Organization.... maybe i'll start one....

i'm showing a CDT slideshow to some people over thanksgiving, and just
waiting for some smartass to ask me about the Parting of the Water, figured
I'd be prepared for it.

happy thanksigving all...

best,
rafi