[cdt-l] Border Trivia

Hey Monte. That cute redhead had a reason to go to Chief Mtn border
crossing. That border guard from PA was her fianc=E9. We met her at Goat Ha=
unt
border crossing. She was the only ranger to check our permit on the CDT. We
chatted with her for about half an hour while eating lunch. She was closing
up the ranger station and leaving for PA the next day.

Our border crossing was bad, but not as bad as Turtles. We paid for a jitne=
back to Chief Mtn from Waterton Lakes. The Canadian driver could not drive
us beyond the border, so we got out to walk back into the US. First words
out of the guards mouth "Passports, Please". Thank God we had the foresight
to mail them in our box to East Glacier. The we answered the airline
questions - any drugs, firearms, .... It wasn't bad and they let us through=
.
The last question was what are you going to do now, walk to St Mary? We
explained that we hoped to hitch to East Glacier and walked up the road
about 50 feet. As cars stopped for the border crossing they were searched
pretty well. Then, the *&^% border guard said, "See those people over there=
.
They want to hitchhike into town. They might be dangerous. They might have =
gun."

That pretty much killed the idea of getting a ride. I wondered if those
drivers ever thought that the border guard was supposed to check us for a
gun. That was his responsibility. I sure thought about telling them that.

We ended up hiking a couple of miles to get away from the border. Eventuall=
we got a ride. But I won't forget that border guard.

Ken