[CDT-L] Trail info

I don't think Betsy is interested in defining trail route purity. Like the
rest of us before we hiked the CDT she just wants info. Why doesn't
everyone who has hiked it send her your route, your contacts and yes, even
your opinions and let her make her own way.

I will begin with mine, Betsy: South to North

New Mexico--Cut through the Gray Ranch use GPS to follow the Divide to
Silver City. From Silver City there is good trail thru the Gila and Aldo
Leopold Wilderness (Lots of downed, burnt timber in '99). People that run
the KOA in Silver City are active trail members and have good up-to-date
info. From the Gila cross the Plains of San Agustin. There is a wind mill
right in the middle. It is also the largest ranch in Catron County. Come
out at Horse Springs and take Horse Springs Rd. north about 30 miles to Pie
Town. From Pie Town walk the dirt roads through Tres Lagunas and on to El
Malpais wilderness. I would suggest staying on the Seven Crater Scenic dirt
road around the west side of El Malpais. I didn't and ran into some rugged,
dry bushwhacking through this incredible interesting area. From there walk
FR50 and 49 through the Zuni Canyon and into Grants. From Grants go north
on Hwy 547 (you walk right past the Cibola Forest Service office. Like the
rest of the FS offices you stumble on to, they know nothing. But stop and
get a map.) past the prison--it will make you feel free like never
before--to FR 193. Follow FR193 to the top of Horace Mesa and toward the
base of Mt. Taylor. Just a few hundred feet past a junction with
FR5something you will see a Trail Marker T77 on your right. Don't miss it.
It sets back off the road a way. This will take you to the summit of
Taylor. Off the back side of Taylor follow FR453. I found the Wolf guide
helpful here in locating springs. I never did find Barrel Spring the night
before the ghost town of Cabezon. The guide completely fell apart there and
I can't tell you my route to Cuba. It was just a dry, jumble of roads. I
would have been in trouble except a bunch of hot air balloonist from
Albuquerque saved my butt. They gave me smoked salmon from Pikes Market in
Seattle, three kinds of exotic beer, pita bread, cherry tomatoes and, oh
yea, some water. If I were to do it over again, and I would love to, I
would get a good BLM map of the area where Cibola NF stops and Cuba. From
Cuba it is easy route finding--and trail--through the San Pedro Wilderness
and on to the Ghost Ranch. Although,I had a big problem there. I hiked into
a two day sleet storm with no rain gear and had food poisoning from one of
the wonderful meals I had in Cuba. I was sick for a week and ended up road
walking from the Ghost Ranch to Cumbres Pass. The route from the Ghost
Ranch is confusing but I think you will find David Pattersons book very
helpful there as well as many other areas. I carried his guide and used it
often.
You will also find a lot of wonderful people along this trail more than
willing to help you. There is no lack of trail magic along  the CDT no
matter what route you decide on.
There may be a new book out on New Mexico sectons by Westcliffe Publishing.
I have not seen one but they were promising guides this year for all four
states. I know Lyanna Howards Montana book is out and I highly recommend
it. I used a galley copy on my hike and it was very handy.
If I can help you with any other info please let me know.
--Keep Smilin', Dick E. Bird
The Dick E. Bird News
P.O. Box 377
Acme, MI 49610