[CDT-L] tarp instead of tent

I've been trying for a long time to cut packweight, and am considering
switching to a tarp instead of tent.  Does anyone have any experience with
using a tarp as shelter?  It makes a heck of a lot of sense to me to switch,
but thought someone might have some feedback for me to think otherwise.  The
only way I've used a tarp before was to wrap it around myself like a burrito,
so I could use some help here.

Thank you.
Toby
P.s.  It's been awfully quiet here, thought this might get a thread going.