Re: [CDT-L] tarp instead of tent

I've used the rain fly from a 1971 North Face A frame tent as a tarp the last
couple times I hiked on the PCT in Washington.  I made sure to sleep on a crown
in the ground.  Even flat spots weren't really flat, and a rivulet would form.
It's something to do in the rain, but only once.  There is no problem finding
sticks for poles in the northwest.  I'm going to sew some mosquito netting on its
edges or more probably get a bug bivy to use with it.  That was its only
drawback.  I could stake it all the way to the ground but the skeeters still
found their way in.  And invariably, I'd pitch the thing in a mouse runway and
have the little critters leap off my face during the night.  That'll wake you
up...

I don't think I'm going to use a tarp on the southern colorado section of the CDT
this summer though.  I don't know the country and the "camp low hang out high"
mode of hiking may not work there.  I found a Sierra Design Lightening on sale at
Northern Mountain Supply for half price.  Single Wall, one person tent at about 2
lbs 10 oz all told.  Does anyone have experience with this tent?  I read in a
gear review site that they are hard to set up.  How about condensation issues
when it's 50 degrees and raining???

My rainfly/tarp with rope, ground cloth and stakes weighs about 1 3/4 pounds.
I've used a clip flashlight for years that is wonderful, but I can't justify
carrying that much weight any more.  I like having some energy at the end of the
day, and after three weeks.  It's surprising the difference between a 17 pound
and 25 pound base weight pack.