Re: [CDT-L] Maps

>From: Jim Owen <jimandginnyo@juno.com>
>To: TJBAKOS@cs.com
>CC: cdt-l@server2.iqsc.com
>Subject: Re: [CDT-L] Maps
>Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 20:40:24 -0500
>

>>Be aware though - many of the maps lie, either by omission (not showing
>many of the roads and trails that exist on the ground) or commission
>(showing trails in the wrong place).  It was a constant frustration,
>though we learned to just laugh after a while.   We knew before we left
>that we would get lost occasionally, so when we did, we just got out the
>maps and tried to figure out where we were and how to get back to
>something that would lead in the right direction.  As long as we were
>heading generally south - we weren't lost, right?
>
>Enjoy - we did.
>
>Ginny

How true, some of the maps really lie! It's not too often, but some of the
maps are erroneous as Ginny pointed out. Of all the maps, I think the TI
(trails illustrated) maps contained the most errors. Nevertheless they are
mostly obvious, or easy to deduce...that can't be right!

One major error that does come to mind is in the Beaverhead District. The
Ranger, Bob Hutton, at the Wisdom FS office showed me where the trail really
is on the map (it's incorrectly depicted on the map). Not that big a deal,
but a big deal if you don't want to fool around trying to figure out where
you went wrong in relation to the map.

One cool thing if you think about it is the quality of maps today. Just
think of what Lewis and Clark had to go by. Now that's bushwhacking!