Re: [CDT-L] Maps

On Thu, 2 Mar 2000 16:55:22 EST TJBAKOS@cs.com writes:
> I am planning a 2001 thru-hike of the CDT.
>
> I'm inclined to just order the maps from the CDTS, do you know if
> those
> packets include all of the maps I'll need?  I am wondering about
> maps for the
> area south of Scapegoat to Yellowstone... I noticed that the packet
> descriptions don't list the maps for that area.  Are they included?
> And if
> not, what other sections are missing from the packets?
>
> Thank you. Toby

I don't know what maps are sold in Jim's set. We got by fine with the
National Forest maps for all the states (not really necessary in
Colorado), BLM 60 minute maps for Wyoming and New Mexico, Trails
Illustrated maps for Colorado, Glacier and Yellowstone, and the Earthwalk
Maps for the Wind River Range in Wyoming.  It adds up to a lot of maps.
We used the Delorme Atlas maps in New Mexico, but it seems the newest
edition no longer shows the wells and stock tanks, so they wouldn't be as
much use.

Generally, when you have two national forest maps on either side of the
trail, it may not be necessary to have both since the area they cover
overlaps.  (i.e. We left behind  the maps for Shoshone NF, and Salmon
National Forest). NF maps aren't generally topographic, except the
wilderness maps (Anaconda Pintler, Gila Wilderness, Bob Marshall.)  The
contour interval on the 1:100,000 BLM maps is ridiculous - 50 meter
contours hide a lot of ridges and gullies - but since we only used them
in the desert areas, it wasn't that big a deal.  Before we left, we
marked the various alternate routes on the maps and left behind the maps
that were duplicates, and sent off for the couple that we had managed to
forget somehow.  We had some duplication, but sometimes it was necessary
since sometimes it took the combination of two or three maps to show the
trail accurately.

Be aware though - many of the maps lie, either by omission (not showing
many of the roads and trails that exist on the ground) or commission
(showing trails in the wrong place).  It was a constant frustration,
though we learned to just laugh after a while.   We knew before we left
that we would get lost occasionally, so when we did, we just got out the
maps and tried to figure out where we were and how to get back to
something that would lead in the right direction.  As long as we were
heading generally south - we weren't lost, right?

Enjoy - we did.

Ginny