Re: [at-l] Billing for rescuing idiots. . . .

>Just for the record. Personally I find it offensive when we call people
>stupid or idiots because somehow they fail to measure up to our standards.
>Before we go around making moral judgments of people, we should make sure
>our own house is order.
>
>Ron "Fallingwater" Moak

I do not call someone stupid or an ijit for failing to measure up to 'my'
standards -- heck, no one measures up to MY standards, but that doesn't stop
me -- <joke, okay?>  I call anyone who doesn't use a modicum (very small
measure) of common sense gained from surviving childhood illnesses
"be-numbed" or "astonished" or "dulled of mind" -- stupid is not ignorant,
it is someone who has through his or her own lackadaisical complacence not
done or acted or reacted in what society as a whole would consider a
'normal' way or responded to a situation 'appropriately.'   AKA -- to walk
outside in Maine without wearing shoes today would be 'stupid' --  is
someone going to argue with me as to what is or isn't 'appropriate' or
'normal' apparel for Maine winters?   If you asked 100 people what one wears
to go outside in a Maine winter, everyone one of them would describe some
sort of 'foot wear' -- and if asked "what would you call  someone during a
Maine winter who failed to put on his foot wear?"  one answer would be
'stupid' and another 'dead' perhaps.

It's not a judgmental term -- I'd classify my use of the word as a term used
out of frustration for people who have enough intelligence to get to the
starting point but not enough to prepare for the journey to the ending
point.  And in this case, think that a cell phone is the 'only' essential
they need to carry.  No water, no rain gear, no map, no plan, etc.  "Hey,
I've got my cell phone, if I get in trouble (what I think is trouble -- I'm
out of cigarettes, I'm tired, I need a drink, the trail is too long, too
rocky, too steep, etc) then I can call on my cell phone and get someone to
come pick us up immediately."   That kind of 'thinking' is NOT nearly normal
or appropriate for hiking.   That's why the people thinking that way are
called "astonished" and are "dulled of mind" and "be-numbed" -- or
'stupid' --

If it suits you, I'll just call them thoughtless from now on, instead of
stupid.

Howling Wolf
(Coosa)