Re: [[at-l] Re: Pack for small person]

At the time I bought the Kestrel, Jessie was ten years old.  She was (and is)
tall and slender.  Actually, I think I tried both the "Camper" and the
"Ranger."  The Camper was too small, and the Ranger too large (I think that my
original comments apply to the Ranger, not the Camper as I said).  Suffice it
to say that Jessie was a lot taller than your kids!

At the time I bought the pack, Jessie was around 4'10" and weighed about 72
pounds.  Now she is 5'1" and weighs about 85 pounds.

-- Jim

"Thomas McGinnis" <tmcginnis@ucclan.state.in.us> wrote:
> Jim Mayer made a great point about torso length, but we both forgot to
mention how our kids were(are) built. Mine went about 43 pounds, stood about
45 inches, and had a torso length (as I recall it) of around 14 inches, maybe
less. At 4.5 years, the pack's hip belt was barely adjustable to fit down to
their tiny hippies, and the shortest torso adjustment on the pack's
shoulderstraps still left lots of room between their shoulders and the arc of
the shoulderstraps (which means that all vertical support from the pack comes
from the hip belt; while the shoulder straps are good only for keeping the
pack upright). At 5.5 years, the Boys are now 47 inches, and the problems are
lessened, but not gone. (Ideally, the arc of the shoulder strap should provide
even pressure all the way around to the back of the strap.) My guys are
skinney, though, and I think an average 5-11 year old would make out OK.
> Still and all, I liked the Tough Travelor best because it's bag was shaped
to carry the load properly on a child's back; it was not an adult's daypack
with a shrunk suspension, which would be like an adult strapping on a fruit
basket ¯ pulling shoulders back and sticking a knee into the small of the
back.
> Jim, how was/is your daughter built?

> Sloetoe wrote about his experiences with the "Tough Traveler 'Camper'"
> internal frame pack.  It worked very well for him.  I tried the pack for my
> daughter and found it too wide with shoulder straps that were to long.
What