Re: [at-l] Supplies List<cameras and film>

>>   35 mm camera + extra zoom lens
>>   lots of film
>
>Too much weight here. Get a light weight camera, built in zoom if you
>insist, or even better, a disposable camera.

i must disagree with this..tha tall really depends on what you are hiking
for.. the pictures can only be as good as the camera you take them with.. if
youa re hiking to take pictures then go with a good camera...  if you want
really sharp and colorful pictures and you know what you are doign ... a
real 35 with glass lenses is the ONLY way to go. i might suggest if you want
those close up shots of far away and consider yourself to be a "Good"
photographer instead of a zoom get a lens that is telescopic but not zoom it
limits you to two diffretn ranges but you are also not paying for the weight
of the zoom mechanism which can be very heavy.  also i normally take a
slightly fisheyed lens with me i like the wider angleview it captures a more
panaromic apprence.

if you really know what you are doign there is a very nice little 35 with
great lenses that weighs in about 1 pound with it lense and battery..  it is
called a koncia hextar... but i might have those names backwards.  it auto
focus and advances film for you .  it is a fully automatic with fuly manual
ajustments available.  i will not tell you the cost... i will let the buyer
beware on that venue. my model does not have a built in flash. but such is
life.

that said i do not bring those kind of cameras with me when i go backpacking
only day hiking.

HOWEVER if you do not ever want to hav eyour photgraphs displayed and you
have no clue as to what i am talkgin about above and think every camera
gives great sharp pictures.  IOW
if all of tha is not your cup of tea and point and shoot cameras are your
venue and i have also used and like the olympus Stylus Zoom 140. it is small
and cheap(150-200) and water resitant. it is about the size of a pack of
cigs if memory serves me right. and very very light weight.  it give great
pictures for its type of camera.  it has "Clam shell" technology to protect
the camera when not in use.  a silly hard cover that folds out  kind of.
but it is really nice and you shoudl check it out.  i am thinking on getting
one for when i am tryign not to be a photographer with my cameras. ( i have
a large still growing collection of film supplies)

OH and one more thing get a 36 exposure rolls of film ... for ever 2 rolls
of 36 film you carry around you get the equvalant of 3 rolls of 24 (do the
math to check me).  that can take up huge amount of space and most likely
weights more too cause you have extra cases.   and bring along the little
containers the rolls of film came in those plastic tubes keep them protected
from water and drops.  the film cantainers are not all that sturdy so the
saving of space and weight is not worth it.

that is my 2 yen worth and  at the value of a yen you can imagine what all
of tha tis worth

please no flames and do remember "hike your own hike",
Wisperlight

i thought a poem is due in time,
so i think i shall make up this little ryme;
never have I seen a picture so grand,
as that seen through your eyes of the land;
a memory is all a picture can take,
in the mind eye it where it is is great;
so not matter how great a picture can be,
it is still worth the trip to go and see.