[at-l] Registers on the Web---

<I know that we have relaxed much in regards to the latter.  We readily share with one another on this list, "Was out hiking this weekend and ran into XX,YY, and ZZ at Blah-Blah Shelter.  They were having a ball and planning to do a town stop at ABC and hoping to reach DEF by the ++st. "  Just a few years ago, that kind of info-sharing was strongly discouraged.  What information *was* shared was long after the fact or vague sufficiently to obscure details that could increase a hiker's vulnerability.  For a time, such info was shared only after securing permission from the hiker.  We've arrived at a point in time where I suspect that permission to share is rarely a thought in the minds of those sharing the info.

I'm wondering if this practice is a good one or if, perhaps, it deserves some re-evaluation?  Or am I just being paranoid?>

Several years ago, when I was on the trail, maybe in the Smokies, there was a girl from Orono, ME, thru-hiking.  She wrote (posted?) in all the registers.  There was a guy hiking vast mileage a day to catch up with her because he had become obsessed with her through her entries in the registers.  Everyone was scared of him because he was weird.  Fortunately, she was in a group, but she didn't know this person was chasing her, so to speak.  I've often wondered since how that whole episode turned out.  Anyone know?  This would have been maybe 1991 or 1992.

Leslie

Leslie