Re: [at-l] Coosa, 12/18 trip report????

Don't know when CNN will run coverage.

I didn't get many names, saw Hayduke and Stringbean and fed some kids my
fruit to go with the charcoal grill on wheels that one family brought and
served hamburgers, hot dogs and sausage.  There were tons of people there
collecting their children.  The Southbounders told me Jacques D'amboise
yellow blazed around Tray Mountain and didn't get my note, altho' some of
them read it and thought it was 'right on'.

I'll let them tell you, I'm sure Hayduke has a wonderful story to report --
he and others spent the night of the 17th on Springer -- it was a great
night they said -- they partied and slept out in the open -- and no bears
came -- they left food laying all around -- tho' Hayduke had only two
packets of oatmeal left --

I've got a roll of film to get developed -- actually there's only one
picture I want -- FP do you want me to just mail you the roll and tell you
which picture to send me?  I may want a couple enlargements as if it turns
out, it could be a contest winner.

Names in my book:  Sage, Morpheus and Nighthawk, Calomine, Crouton, Panda,
Wheels, Maddiver, Lob, Mini-me, Bubba, Hollydays and Little Engine.  Also
recall hearing names Poptop and Soccerball.  Stringbean mentioned above.
Hayduke has a list of most of them as one parent made out 'awards' and
another made badges.

Ya know, altho' it was coouhl, I think had it been me, I'd have wanted to
finish when I could be alone to gather my thoughts -- three did that, sat on
the rocks at Springer and wrote in their journals for 20 minutes or more.
Many went to Amicalola to a cabin or the lodge on Saturday night -- I wonder
how they're doing today.  Some headed right home.   Get Hayduke to fill you
in.

Walter Cronkite's son was there to interview Jacques D'ambroise.  None of
the press seemed interested that he had not really completed the entire AT,
although one hiker's father was upset about it and told me about it before I
could get out much more than my name (his thru-hiker son and a number of
others were also upset, according to the father) and he even talked to the
media about it while I was gone to the top of Springer.   The media were
there for Jacques, not for the AT experience.   And btw, Jacques did not
stop to teach anyone gathered at Springer his dance.  I had half expected
him to do so out of appreciation for the Trail.  Another strange (to me)
thing was that I did not see Jacques, George, Hyper and all but one of his
entourage, join in with the rest of the festivities.   I never saw them come
over to the grille for a burger or get any fruit or mingle with the crowd of
people.  They stayed on the fringe.  Hyper drove off for a while and came
back, don't know where she went, as she wasn't gone long enough to go
anywhere, and then came back and picked up the rest of the group.  Since
they'd not made reservations at the Lodge, Hollydays and Little Engine
offered them the floor of their room.   Which was might kind of them, if I
do say so myself, you'd a thunk they's Southerners by their hospitality!

I think when I attempt my 1/2 a thru (plan to take two years each time and
do it twice total), I want to plan to finish my 1/2 a-hike on a week day
when no one expects me to -- so I can have time to reflect on my hike.

Southbounders seem to be a tighter community than Northbounders.  Of course
by the time Northbounders get to Monson, they're probably as tight!  I never
see them at the end, just at the beginning.  I think someone mentioned that
one of the hikers plans to write a book about Southbounding.  Hope so!

Coosa
Howling Wolf in just a few days