Re: [at-l] Poncho's

At 09:39 PM 12/18/99 -0500, Saunterer wrote:

>I've used ponchos in the past and will second both the 'great ventilation'
>and 'problem in the wind on mountaintops' comments. I've never been able to
>afford Gore-Tex or any of it's competitors so I can't vouch for them but
>from what I hear they aren't all they're cracked up to be. These days I try
>to focus on staying warm even if I do get wet.

Sometime when using a poncho in really crummy weather, I've brought my arms
inside the poncho.  Looks bizarre, I suppose, but it keeps my arms dry, I
can hold onto the poncho if need be in wind, and I can facilitate venting.
Also, sewing velcro along the edges of the poncho (other than the armholes)
really does help quite a bit with the billowing problem in wind.

Rick