Re: [at-l] Weather Predictions - Year 2000

>The Almanac was correct less than 50% of  the time, a record that the
meteorologist observed could be matched by  throwing darts at a board with
weather symbols

The 50% is better than my local TV guy is able to do. Like economists,
weather-people are better at yesterday than day-after-tomorrow.

I was hiking with Log Jumper going south from Hot Springs when he announced
that the radio had just given the weather and we would have another party
cloudy day with the temperatures in the 60s. Within 15 minutes we heard the
first thunder and in 30 minutes it rained. As I approached Walnut Mountain
shelter the hail came and I spent 30+ minutes huddled inside having a snack
and attempting to stay warm. When I left the shelter the ground was white
from the hail and I would guess the temperature was in the 40s.

Just another wonderful day on the trail.

Speaking of which, I seem to be missing the trail just a tad, and since my
wife is off visiting our first born, I had a Lipton Dinner for supper
tonight and plan to sleep on the back deck. If that doesn't cure me I will
probably seek professional help, or maybe talk to Felix.

Jim
South Walker ME-GA 1999
jimhipp@alltel.net
In hiking there is no special recognition given for speed, style or
finesse. There are only those who do the hike and those who don't.