RE: [at-l] I'm on THE List

Mara writes "The amount of weight you put on your feet will help determine
what type of
footwear is appropriate.  When walking on uneven ground, nicely cushioned
shoes may not support your feet enough.  Stepping on one sharp rock under
your arch can be very painful.  Repeat that for millions of steps.  With a
boot, you generally have a stiffer shank which distributes the pressure so
that your entire foot can provide support."

The problem with most footwear discussions is that works for one frequently
doesn't work for someone else. There are so many factors effecting how well
our feet will feel at the end of a long day. How much do the shoes weigh?
Are they too wide or narrow? Is there too much or not enough arch support,
or is it in the wrong location? How do we tie our shoes? How do we walk?
What type of terrain? How much weight are we caring? How do we pack our
backpacks? And the list goes on.

Answers to each one of these questions can have a significant influence on
how we feel at the end of the day. Changing one factor without changing
another may or may not have any effect.

I think it's good to listen to all advice then try different things out for
yourself. Don't be afraid to go against conventional wisdom. Just because it
didn't work for others doesn't mean it won't work for you.

I would like to think that after 30 years of backpacking, I'd have solved
the little dilemma of my feet. But alas I'm not that naive. I made a number
of changes to my footwear on my last trip,
(http://www.fallingwater.com/pct2000/equpmentcheck.htm) several which defied
current logic. Yet at the end of the trip, my were in the best shape of my
hiking career.

I hiked using standard running shoes over miles of jagged lava rock where
each step required bouncing from rock to rock, often landing on the balls of
my feet. The shoes had no shank, they were oversized for my feet and tied
loosely to allow my feet to move and flex normally. Despite the excessive
punishment my feet felt great.

I'm not saying this will work for everyone. In fact, I don't know it'll work
for me for the bulk of my PCT hike next summer. But I feel it's extremely
important to experiment with as many options as you can afford.

The ability to hike pain free can give any hike a significant psychological
boost.

Ron "Fallingwater" Moak