[at-l] Boots, Shoes, and othermobiles was Re[2]: I'm on THE List

     I think these are really great (and balanced) comments. I am right in
     the middle of a boot question, myself, although, since I'm not getting
     set for another go in 2000, my need for an answer is not too
     time-dependent, either.

     On my throughhike, I wore monster mountain boots, heavier upper,
     lighter soles, than the Limmer. Never a blister (had 800 miles on
     'em), never a problem, but when the day included long road walks, I
     winced at the end of the day (VA, PA, NJ/NY). I was skinney, packed a
     16-20 pound pack exclusive of food/water, BUT I hiked with a reckless
     abandon with regard to where/how I placed my feet: the security of
     foot placement with these boots was intoxicating, and I rarely
     regarded it with concern. *Especially the downhills and rocks.*

     When I tried to rip out a 29 miler on the Long Trail at this year's
     Gathering, I wore trail running shoes (running shoes with slightly
     larger sole cleats). I had to place my feet carefully, but I was very
     surprised that at the end of the *17.5* mile day, I did not have sore
     feet. Packed, of course, a pretty light load, but couldn't avoid
     rocks.

     I've recently taken to wearing my current mountain boots (six pounds
     the pair in 12D) on day hikes, just to refresh the memory banks, and I
     don't know where I am at, preference-wise.

     Of course, at this point, extensive field testing is the only path,
     isn't it?

     Sloetoe