Re: [at-l] calcium, take II

From: Pat Villeneuve <patv@falcon.cc.ukans.edu>
> I know this requires an essay answer, but does anyone want to address
> the need for calcium supplementation on the trail?

Give Me Chocolate:

Even as a male I found the need for a calcium supplement on my AT thruhike
last year.  In the early portion of my thruhike while the winter was still
with us in the south, I stopped making milk.  My feet began to hurt!

One day listening to the radio, I heard a story on NPR about women and
calcium deficiency.  The story pointed out that high salt diets strip the
body of calcium.  The kidneys bond calcium with sodium to pass sodium out
through urine.

Have you ever read the salt content of a Liptons dinner?  I was eating at
least one and a half per day.  Some of the sodium would have left via sweat,
but I am sure a fair portion contributed to some of the unique colors I used
to mark territory...

When I re-evaluated my diet, I noticed was not taking in any calcium.

I started taking the generic Tums and put dry milk back in my diet.  I like
a good chocolately "shake" in the morning with breakfast.  I usually make it
up the night before if the weather is cool so it will be cool in the
morning.  (Be warned: drinking 20 oz of cold liquid first thing in the
morning is not wise unless one is warm natured.)

cheers,
Terry Norton
ultralite'98