RE: Do you fold, roll or stuff? Was [at-l] I got rain

There are two sides to that theory. If you fold the tent, sleeping bag, etc.
then you are creating a repetitive wear joint which will tend to leak sooner
and wear out sooner. If you stuff the tent, sleeping bag, etc. then you
create LOTS of tiny potential leaks and wear spots, although it takes
somewhat longer (usually).

Personally, I believe that over the life span of a typical tent, it makes
very little difference. I own three tents, some of which have seen 10 years
of use. The only leaks in any of them were there when I bought the tent. All
have been mostly folded and rolled, but occasionally stuffed.

On a side thread, I purchased a TNF Slickrock in March of this year and have
already put several hundred miles on it. It is billed as a two man 3-4
season freestanding tent. The fly is detachable - that is a key word -
detachable, as in made to be left on as a convenience for quicker pitching
in rain. Like several of the other tents mentioned, this tent has acres of
netting on the main tent with the fly providing the rain protection. At only
4 pounds this is one of the lightest 2-man tents I have ever seen. As a
1-man tent it is excellent, much more comfortable on those rainy days when
you decide it isn't worth getting out in the rain! I have never taken the
fly off....

Lee I Joe