[at-l] Re: A.D.A. & A.T.

One of the reasons I hiked in 99 rather than wait, was to avoid the trail as it
will appear after 10 years of management by the National Parks Service.  The
trail is not managed by the Park Service you say. Just wait.

I fear that the recent acquisition of lands with federal money will ultimately
result in the creation of the AT National Park, and as a result, the AT will
fall into a category that will require meeting ADA rules and regulations. The
trail as we know it today will cease to exist.  Imagine the ludicrous position
of putting handrails on the "steep and difficult" places, or putting an overhead
walkway through The Notch, or around Dragon's Tooth. Don't laugh, the absurd is
not out of the question should the Parks service take over.

At the ATC conference in Maine a couple of years ago, I met a "disabled" hiker
who was suing both Maine and Georgia to allow him to hike with a Llama. He had
made a big stink about doing so in both states and had himself ejected from both
Springer and Baxter. He was actually arrested in Maine. He was using this formal
rejection as a basis for suing both states under the ADA.  I suspect he will
ultimately push this to the Supreme Court - as was his stated purpose - and has
financial support from a number of organizations to pursue this end.

I wanted to hike something that looked like today's AT. I fear that we will lose
this ability in the future, both as development encroaches, and as the ultimate
creation of the AT National Park (a prediction, not a known fact) will destroy
the resource.

Call me old fashioned or a snob, but I don't believe that the Trail should be
made easier anyplace. You can either do it, or you can't, for any number of
reasons. There is no "equal access" guarantee - nor should there be.

-Paddler