Re: [at-l] Sad story?

At 02:25 PM 11/11/99 EST, JoelShiver@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 11/11/99 8:41:26 AM Eastern Standard Time,
>bullard@northnet.org writes:
>
>> Now if you want sad, read "There Are Mountains to Climb" (Jean Deeds). I
>>  cried (yeah, guys do cry) when she got sooooo close and didn't make it,
not
>>  because there is anything wrong with not making it but because she
reeeally
>>  wanted to make it.
>
>This is the first I've heard of this book.  Tell us more about it.

It's available from ATC. You can order on-line from their 'Ultimate Trail
Store' http://www.atconf.org/index.html
I haven't visited TrailPlace in a coon's age but I'd be amazed if Linda
Patton didn't have a review of it there. It's the story of Jean Deeds'
(Indiana Jean) hike of the AT. One of the better written books IMHO. She
doesn't just tell you when she got up, what she ate, who she met and how
far she walked. She makes a story out of it, lets you in on her feelings,
and the experience of being out there.

Don't get me wrong. It's not all sad. Most of it isn't. There's even
triumph in the end but it's tempered by the fact that she didn't finish on
her first attempt and had to go back the next year to finish the last bit
in Maine. I didn't know that when I began the book and it hit me like a
brick when I got to that part. Since I've spoiled it for you, you might not
have the same response.

Saunterer