Re: [at-l] The latest Wingfoor rants

In a message dated 11/03/1999 7:45:15 PM Eastern Standard Time,
wareagle@ioa.com writes:

<< >from Dan's Handbook over the years, used it daily on their trips, relied
on
 >it heavily for their planning and preparation---yet they lose no
 opportunity
 >to villify  and slam its author now that their trip is done.   Pretty
 shabby
 >behavior, if you ask me. >>

AUTHOR! No way.

I own a publishing firm. I will tell you how he does his editorial. We as a
hiking community are the authors of his "Handbook". Every piece of trail
related data that gets updated from year to year comes from hikers who send
him the data, from journals hosted on trailplace and other sites and also
from threads listed on this list and other lists.

His handbook is a valuable tool. The editorial process he uses is honorable
and is commomplace in our business. So are book reviews. I see no reason why
people cannot review the book in a productive manner. What are we supposed to
do, just buy the thing on blind faith? An educated consumer uses all data
(reviews) good and bad to make the decision for themselves.

By the way, I have orderd my 2000 hand book.

Bad Ankles