[at-l] Important announcement from the Pea & Lentil Council

Trail-related . . uh . . hmmm. . . sounds like a good backpacking food . . .
?  So I'm thinking, if any of us are on the Trail during this national event,
we should cook a big pot of pea soup.  All I want to know is, who's gonna
carry the cast iron pot? <vbg>

The Redhead

"The USA Dry Pea & Lentil Council reminds us that National Split Pea Soup
Week is the 7th-13th. Dry peas, like their lentil cousins, have been around
for thousands of years</B> and are a high protein food, and a good source of
potassium and the B-vitamins. They provide complex carbohydrates, which
release energy slowly and helps to maintain a consistent energy level. These
legumes have more dietary fiber than any other major food groups, including
grains. One-half cup of cooked peas or lentils provides more than 10 grams of
dietary fiber. Vegetables average 5 grams, and grains average 3 grams. A high
fiber diet may help prevent heart disease and some cancers. Peas, lentils,
and chickpeas are also a good source of folate. This nutrient may help to
stave off heart attacks and strokes."