Re: [at-l] Esbit Wind Screen

At 11:42 AM 10/28/99 -0400, you wrote:
>I've been using a Whisperlite for years, and just recently bought an Esbit
>after attending an ultralite backpacking demo.  The one aspect of the Esbit
>that the guy neglected to mention was the high cost of the solid fuel
>tablets.

Bummer ain't it?  Someone once posted how much per ounce it cost
him to reduce his pack weight.  Scarey....but....if you figure you are
carrying the extra lb+ for 2000+ miles, it doesn't seem so much to me.

>I've been looking around, and bought some round hexamine tabs at the Army-Navy
>store, and also a couple packs of Trioxane,

This is strictly a knee jerk eco reaction, but I understand the triox is
much more
toxic substance.  Not supposed to get the residue on you hand even, IMMSM.
I could be wrong here....anyone have a pack handy?

>in attempt to get a cheaper fuel
>source,

What did you pay for the hexamine at the Army-Navy if I may ask?
Paddy did you ever try and do a deal with these folks for the fuel tabs?

The best price I remember is:

https://www.outdoorstoreusa.com/cgi-bin/Web_store/web_store.cgi?product=stov
essolid&cart_id=

Esbit solid fuel Case Our Price: $ 57.5

>  but it's still extremely expensive compared to running the Whisperlite.
>
>Question: Do many hikers use Esbits on thru-hikes? If so, how do they get the
>fuel...maildrops? Even so, it sure seems like an expensive way to cook! Any
>thoughts?

I think a traditional stove might almost make sense in the beginning from an
economy standpoint, (of course my version of a traditional stove is a zipstove
which uses free fuel) because the esbit seems to need double tabs in cold
conditions.
But when it warms up, especially in hot Pa. the esbit just makes sooo much
sense.
If I were to hike next year, I actually think I would start out with both
my zip for
suppers and an esbit for an easy hot start on the morning or for some warm up
lunch soup.  Of course my AT plans include a very early start.  YMMV