Re: [at-l] AT; The First Fifty Miles

Have many concerns, but water is difficult. There is no water at Springer.
You will find water at 3 Forks and a few places before Hemphill Gap. There
is a long 10-12 miles waterless region until Justus Creek. North Georgia is
dry as can be, and is a fire hazard.

Given your early stages of hiking and location. You might want to consider
moving your hike to North Carolina and the Standing Indian area. There are
many side trails, much more water, and a loop that can help you bail out if
you get into trouble. A 50 mile week is a very good plan as you describe
yourself. You can easily start up in Deep Gap and move north toward
Franklin and Wesser.

Also, find out if you have any friends who are campers/hikers also. You are
likely to find gear that is lighter. A 50 pound pack is likely to sap any
fun out of this, and likely to result in about 20 pounds of litter of gear
along the path. (We've all been there and done that).

OrangeBug
Altanta, GA