Fwd: [at-l] the quest for new shoes

In a message dated 10/20/1999 7:06:59 PM Mountain Daylight Time, HikingHope
writes:

<< In a message dated 10/20/1999 10:07:54 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
tmcginnis@ucclan.state.in.us writes:

 << I started my backpacking in my Mom's off-sized cheesey waffle-stompers
       back when Ford was a President, not a Taurus. I found them OK until I
       put a pack on, and then, walking some of the ridge trails in central
       Connecticut, where the trailway is frighteningly similar to the
       rocky/nasty Lehigh Gap, I found the meaning of true pain: those
       puppies let my dogs feel every sharp edge of even the smallest shard.

 Brings back memories.  My first pair of "hiking shoes" came from The Happy
Hiker in Gatlinburg during the summer of 1973.  (It was in the hands of its
original owner in a different location--just a hole in the wall in comparison
to today's store.)

 These "hiking shoes" had real Vibram soles, were cut beneath the ankle, and
were (NO KIDDING) red, white, and blue!  They had no women's boots that fit
me, and these were for MEN.  They never fit well.

 In the spring of 1974 I got my first really great pair of boots, navy blue
Pivettas.

 Kinnickinic >>