Re[2]: [at-l] Camera: to take or not to take.

     And I took very few shots of my campspots, and regretted that lapse as soon
     as I saw all the pictures together.

     But I DID take a picture of every "tourist" sign regarding the AT -- and
     that provides ongoing (admittedly elitist) humor. Imagine you're in the
     middle of a throughhike, and you come upon a caption, in the middle of some
     parking lot with RV's and cadilacs and straining, smoking trucks with
     trailors, and you stink with a week's worth of humid trail funk, and your
     ready to gnaw the varnish off the picnic table, and there, in the middle of
     it all, is a grand sign, a monument, as it were, to the glories of <cue
     loudspeaker voice> The Appalachian National Scenic Traillllllll. And Ma and
     Pa Kettle (and all the little kettles and cups) are cueing up to get their
     picture taken next to this marker: "Beyond this, there be Wilderness!" And
     you read the sign and it says something like <cue voiceover from National
     Geographic> "These blazes mark the route of the Appalachian Trail, a
     wilderness footpath stretching from Georgia to Maine. Take a moment to
     sample the natural beauty available to those who walk it. (Scenic View 200
     yards ===>>)"
     Again, this is embarrassingly elitist, but it just *amazed* me what
     comments you could overhear near these signs. It'd be easy for
     throughhikers to conclude that civilization is definitely at an end.

     Sloetoe'79
     (Potential Elistist Old Fart)

Subject: Re: [at-l] Camera: to take or not to take.
Author:  "Leslie Booher" <lwbooher@evansville.net> at ima
Date:    10/19/99 3:42 PM

If you DO take a camera, bear in mind the advice of someone on the
WomenHikers list: take pictures of camp, other people, shelters, etc.  Since
the big scenery is always gorgeous, you need only a limited number of shots
of it; after so many shots of the rolling blue mountains, they all look
alike.  I particularly like pictures that show bits of the trail itself,
especially if there's a blaze in the shot.  Some of Datto's pictures were
like that, and I loved them.  Leslie